How many hours of rest do you get each week? How many hours would you like to rest each week? Share some reasons why you think those answers might be different. Take a moment and describe what you and/or your family do for rest.
Going Beyond Sunday
1. Jesus helps us prioritize our lives when we learn and trust in him. In Hebrews 12:1 we read, "Since we are surrounded by so many examples of faith, we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially sin that distracts us. We must run the race that lies ahead of us and never give up." What are some things in our lives that slow us down? Are there some things in your life that you need to hit the delete key on? Most of us have a to do list, take a moment and create a stop doing or to-don't list.
2. Think about this statement, "The most important work has already been done by Jesus." Is this a true statement? Why or why not? If we truly believe this statement, then what is driving us to be so busy? Why do I need to feel so important and wear the busyness badge of honor? Where is your busyness coming from? We must truly lean in and rest in the finished work of Jesus.
3. What is your motivation for your busyness?
4. Read Luke 10:38-42. Jesus doesn’t condemn Martha. Instead, He gently encourages her to reassess her priorities. What were Martha’s priorities? What were Mary’s? Which is better? Why? What does your appointment book say about your priorities? Are they closer to Martha’s or to Mary’s? Are you "worried and upset about many things?" Or have you "chosen what is better"?
5. Read Exodus 20:8-9. Do you think having a regular day off would do some good for your family? For you? God says, "keep it holy". What does it mean to be holy? Holy means "set apart", different. God says, I want you to set one day a week apart to do something different than you do the other six days of the week. On the seventh day, you're to have a change of pace. That's what it means -- unique, reserved, special. How do I keep the day holy?
6. Read Psalms 127:2. What does proper rest look like?